Nigeria Court Adjourns Kanu’s Terrorism Trial to Monday

The Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the terrorism trial of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu to Monday, after he complained of being unable to access his case file following his lawyers’ withdrawal. The judge granted him weekend access to his defence team but warned that the six-day window for his case would not be extended.

10/25/2025
0 views
2 min read

Listen to this story

AI generated voice

Nigeria Court Adjourns Kanu’s Terrorism Trial to Monday

The Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned the terrorism trial of Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), until Monday, October 27, 2025.

Justice James Omotosho made the ruling on Friday after Kanu informed the court that his former lawyers had withdrawn from the case and failed to hand over his case file, making it impossible for him to begin his defence.

“My Lord, my counsel left the case yesterday, and I have not received the file from them. The few people who would have brought this were precluded from seeing me,” Kanu told the court.

The judge consequently granted Kanu access to his new legal team over the weekend to enable him to prepare for trial and meet with witnesses expected to testify from Ethiopia, Kenya, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Six-Day Limit for Defence

Justice Omotosho stressed that while the defence would have sufficient time to consult, the six days earlier allocated for Kanu’s defence would not be extended once they lapse.

“The case has been adjourned to Monday, October 27, for the defence to open its case. The six days allocated for the defence shall not be extended when it lapses,” the judge said.

Background to the Case

Kanu faces multiple terrorism-related charges stemming from his campaign for the secession of Nigeria’s southeast region under IPOB, which was designated a terrorist organisation by the Nigerian government in 2017. He denies the charges, insisting his movement is peaceful and rooted in calls for self-determination.

The IPOB leader was first arrested in 2015, fled the country in 2017 after being granted bail, and was later re-arrested in Kenya and repatriated to Nigeria in 2021 under controversial circumstances. Since then, his trial has faced repeated adjournments due to legal technicalities, appeals, and questions over his detention conditions.

Broader Implications

The adjournment underscores ongoing concerns about the pace and fairness of high-profile terrorism trials in Nigeria, particularly where political and regional tensions are involved. Observers note that the case carries significant implications for national unity, human rights, and federal responses to secessionist agitations in the southeast.

Kanu’s supporters continue to call for his release, citing constitutional rights and international human-rights obligations. Meanwhile, security agencies have maintained a heavy presence in parts of the southeast, citing the need to curb violent attacks attributed to IPOB’s armed wing, the Eastern Security Network (ESN).

Next Steps

The trial will resume on Monday, with the defence expected to open its case before the court. Analysts say how quickly and transparently the proceedings move forward may influence public confidence in Nigeria’s judiciary and the federal government’s handling of separatist issues.

#Nnamdi Kanu#ipob#separatists#court#human rights#95news
Share:
Alexander Ore

About Alexander Ore

Alex is a person of few words but volumes with the pen. Tech enthusiast with a passion for knowledge. When he's not imparting knowledge, he consuming it. PRAD professional with a fondness for the journalistic side of the media. Businessman, Serial Entrepreneur, and Musician

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!