LAGOS — In response to widespread online claims of a planned disturbance on the Third Mainland Bridge linking Lagos Mainland to Lagos Island, the Lagos State Police Command issued a firm statement on Monday confirming that there are no active threats to traffic or public order on the major thoroughfare. (Vanguard News)
In the statement, the command’s spokesperson, Abimbola Adebisi (SP), explained that the Command was aware of the purported plan by a group of youths to disrupt movement in the bridge’s Oworonshoki section. He added that heightened security measures have already been deployed in response.
“The Command wishes to assure the public that adequate security measures have been put in place to maintain law and order across the state,” he said. (Vanguard News)
According to Adebisi, additional officers have been posted on static duty and in roving patrols to monitor activity along the bridge and its adjoining nodes. The public was urged to carry on with their usual routines and cooperate with security personnel if approached.
“Residents and motorists should go about their normal activities without fear while cooperating with the security agents,” he said. (Vanguard News)
The reassurance comes after alarming messages circulated on WhatsApp and social-media platforms suggesting that a disruption would be staged to block vehicular movement on the bridge, a critical route for thousands commuting into and out of Lagos Island each day. The police said they received intelligence about a possible gathering of youths at the Oworonshoki entry point but proceeded to pre-empt any escalation. (Vanguard News)
Earlier this year, the Federal Government had also moved to dispel rumours of structural issues on the Third Mainland Bridge, following viral posts alleging that the bridge was “shaking” and unsafe for motorists. The government’s fact-checkers deemed the claim false and reconfirmed the bridge’s integrity after inspections. (Africa Check)

