PARIS, October 26, 2025 — French police have arrested two men in connection with the daring $102 million jewel heist at the Louvre Museum, marking a breakthrough in one of Europe’s most audacious cultural thefts in recent years.
The Paris Prosecutor’s Office confirmed on Sunday that the suspects, both in their 30s and from the Seine-Saint-Denis suburb, were detained on Saturday evening. One was intercepted at Charles de Gaulle Airport while attempting to board a flight to Algeria, while the second was picked up shortly after in the Île-de-France region.
Authorities believe the men were part of a well-coordinated gang responsible for the October 19 daylight robbery, during which eight priceless pieces of royal jewellery were stolen from the museum’s French Crown Jewels exhibit. The items are valued at approximately €88 million (US$102 million).
According to investigators, the thieves executed the heist in under eight minutes, using a stolen moving truck with a hydraulic lift to access a first-floor window overlooking the River Seine. Once inside, they smashed two reinforced glass cases and made away with the jewels before escaping on motorbikes.
Among the stolen treasures are an emerald and diamond necklace once owned by Empress Marie-Louise, the second wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, and a diamond-studded diadem that belonged to Empress Eugénie. The collection had been on display as part of a special exhibition celebrating France’s imperial heritage.
Speaking to reporters, Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau described the arrests as a “significant step” in the investigation but warned that premature leaks could compromise ongoing efforts. “Over a hundred investigators remain mobilised to locate the missing jewels and uncover the full scope of this network,” she said.
The Louvre Museum, which houses more than 380,000 artworks including the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo, has faced criticism over its security measures following the theft. French Culture Minister Rachida Dati has ordered a full audit of museum security protocols nationwide.
Experts say the heist bears hallmarks of professional art-crime syndicates, with likely connections to black-market collectors and international smuggling rings. “These are not opportunistic thieves — this was carefully planned,” said Jean-Michel Blanc, a former Interpol art-theft investigator. “Each stolen piece is historically traceable, which makes them nearly impossible to sell openly.”
The incident has reignited debate in France over the protection of national treasures amid tightening public budgets and staff shortages in cultural institutions.
As of press time, authorities have not confirmed whether any of the stolen jewels have been recovered. Both suspects remain in custody and are expected to appear before an investigative magistrate early next week.
Sources:

