Visa Cancellation: Why I Snubbed US Embassy’s Summons — Wole Soyinka

Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka has revealed that the US Consulate in Lagos invited him for a “visa re-interview”, which he declined — citing the date of September 11 and his principled refusal to chase visas. He was later informed that his non-immigrant US visa had been revoked without explanation.

10/29/2025
0 views
2 min read
🎧 Listen to article0:00 / 0:00
Visa Cancellation: Why I Snubbed US Embassy’s Summons — Wole Soyinka

Renowned Nigerian writer and Nobel Prize winner Wole Soyinka has publicly explained why he opted not to respond to a summons from the US Consulate in Lagos for a visa re-interview, a decision that preceded the revocation of his US visa. The move has stirred debate about diplomacy, personal principle and visa regimes. (The Guardian Nigeria)

According to Soyinka, the US Consulate had scheduled a re-interview for him on 11 September 2025, a date he described as “highly symbolic” and inappropriate for the circumstance. Initially suspecting it to be a scam, he declined the invitation outright. (Western Post)

“I thought it was advance-fee fraud… The question of going to such an interview is totally out of consideration,” Soyinka told TheNEWS. (Tribune Online)

He later confirmed that on 23 October 2025, he received an official letter from the US Consulate General in Lagos notifying him that his non-immigrant B-1/B-2 visa had been revoked under Section 22 CFR 41.122 of US visa regulations. The letter also requested that he submit his passport to the consulate for physical cancellation. (ThisDayLive)

Soyinka expressed confusion over the decision, stating he had never been convicted, had no misdemeanours or legal issues that would typically warrant such an action.

“I have no visa; I am banned, obviously, from the United States. And if you want to see me, you know where to find me,” he said during a media briefing in Lagos. (Trending News)

Underlying Issues & Possible Motives

While the US authorities have not publicly provided reasons for the revocation, Soyinka suggested that his vocal criticism of US policies and a previous alleged comparison of former President Donald Trump to Ugandan dictator Idi Amin may have played a part. (The Guardian Nigeria)

He also singled out the date of the scheduled re-interview — 11 September — as poorly chosen and felt it indicated disrespect:

“9/11 should be regarded as a day of national mourning … not a day for stripping people of visas.” (Tribune Online)

#wole soyinka#us visa#visa revocation#us consulate#diplomatic relations#travel policy#audio
Share:
Alexander Ore

About Alexander Ore

Alex is a person of few words but volumes with the pen. Tech enthusiast with a passion for knowledge. When he's not imparting knowledge, he consuming it. PRAD professional with a fondness for the journalistic side of the media. Businessman, Serial Entrepreneur, and Musician

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first to comment!